stl implementations--does anybody use SGI STL anymore?

From: Randy Smith
Subject: stl implementations--does anybody use SGI STL anymore?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:44:40 -0500

I am curious what the dominant stl implementations available are nowadays.

I've used the SGI stl implementation for quite a while alongside gcc, but a recent upgrade to gcc (using 3.4.4 now) will not compile the sgi stl, and it looks like non-standards-compliant code is the culprit. Browsing around using google, I could find very little information on sgi stl, so I'm guessing it has gone into disuse.

Although it has been several years since, I have experienced some pretty nasty multi-thread-triggered bugs in the gnu stl that were not problematic in the sgi stl (the bug had to do with inherent thread-safety problems in gnu stl's implementation of string creation).

So, I guess I'm curious if anybody still uses the SGI STL and if there are issues in getting it to compile with late versions of gcc. If not, is gnu stl considered production quality? what else do people use?

thanks,
Randy Smith