Re: How to improve the slower compile time in g++ 3.4.2

From: Maurizio Loreti
Subject: Re: How to improve the slower compile time in g++ 3.4.2
Date: 13 Apr 2006 22:12:28 +0200

David Cogen <cogen@ll.mit.edu> writes:

> I wonder if I can ask, without offending any of the hard-working
> developers of gcc: Has anyone made a study of just why gcc got so slow
> after 2.95.3, and whether any profiling has been done to improve this?

Sure.  Because the language handled by 2.95.3 is not C++ as defined by
the Standard; streams, templates, and a lot of other things.

If you want speed, switch to C.

If you want C++, leave 2.95; if you want C++ with faster executables
and some compiler slowdown, switch to 3.4.6; if you want a fast
compiler and a fast executable, switch to 4.1.0 .

--
Maurizio Loreti                         http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html
Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Padova, Italy              ROT13: ybergv@cq.vasa.vg