Problem while linking .a file

From: Nithya
Subject: Problem while linking .a file
Date: 3 Mar 2006 04:14:23 -0800

Hi,
I encountered a problem when compiling multiple files with make file on
solaris. The program uses a thrid party library file(.a) and when
linking it to the program with -l option i get a error stating:

ld: elf error: file library.a(lib_obj.o): elf_strptr: Request error: no
string table
ld: elf error: file library.a: elf_begin: Format error: archive fmag
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to Main
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `Main'

As this error states there is no string table associated with one of
the .o file archived to the library. I confirmed it by using nm
utility. It listed the string tables associated with many other .o
files but failed only one. Is there any way that i can generate the
string table by just having this archive?

And i have no idea what Format error is supposed to mean.... could
someone please throw some light on this?

Thanks a lot....