Re: 32 and 64 bit

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: 32 and 64 bit
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:47:11 -0800

Kaeldric <dipstef1978@libero.it> writes:

> I wanted to know if I have to set the -m64 option on a 64 bit machine and
> if there is a 64 bit version of g++.

Yor questions are impossible to answer without knowing what OS you
are on, and how your gcc has been configured.

On Linux x86_64, you can pass '-m64' (but you don't have to as
that's the default), and yes: g++ itself (as well as pretty much
everything else) is a 64-bit application.

Also note, that on Solaris gcc/g++ is (usually) a 32-bit application,
but it can still produce 64-bit binaries (with '-m64' flag).

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.