Re: Linking Problem

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: Linking Problem
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 14:14:11 -0800

pocmatos@gmail.com writes:

> I'm currently trying to link a program to a library which results in
> error. The library is a cplex75 library which my group bought to ilog a
> few years ago. I'm currently running g++ :
> $ g++-3.3 -v

The library was probably not built with that version of g++
(gcc-3.3 was released on May 14, 2003, the library name implies
that it was compiled with g++3.0).

You can't link together code compiled with different versions of gcc:
ABI changes cause such code to be link-incompatible.

> This is kind of sad because I cannot create a new cplex library since I
> do not have access to the code and I cannot downgrade g++ since I'm not
> admin

You don't need to have administrative privileges on a machine to
install gcc-3.0 on it. Just grab the source distribution, and
configure it with

  ./configure --prefix=$HOME/gcc-3.0 --enable-languages=c,c++
  make ; make install

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.