Re: Doubt about -fpic option for compiling objects of shared library

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: Doubt about -fpic option for compiling objects of shared library
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 17:07:54 -0700

"kiran" <kiran.agashe@gmail.com> writes:

> Topic: Is -fpic really required to compile objects of shared library?

We know what the topic is, it's in the subject line.
There is no need for repetition.

Also, please do not top-post, and read this:
http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

>> Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
>> It will also likely *not* work on Solaris/SPARC

> I tested it on Solaris/SPARC. There was no linking problem observed on
> SPARC and application works fine.

In that case, you likely linked your library incorrectly (which
would also explain why your exceptions do not work). What was the
link line on Solaris/SPARC that succeeded, and which version of g++
you were using?

> The crash on Xeon is now solved, when I downgraded the BinUtils
> package.

You didn't solve *anything*. What you did is demonstrate an extreme
example of programming by coincidence (which I advised you against).
I guess you didn't read the article I referred you to.

I'll bet you $50 that your bug will re-appear within the next 3
month (but you are unlikely to recognize that you are looking at
the same bug when it does re-appear :(

> Now it works fine.

It doesn't. It *appears* to work fine, and will stop working as
soon as you put into production (or any other "important" situation).

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.