newbie trying to compile with g++ for first time

From: Janette
Subject: newbie trying to compile with g++ for first time
Date: 19 Jul 2005 15:42:04 -0700

Hi,

I am sorry if this is a really basic question but I am stumped. I am
trying to compile a very simple hello world C++ file using g++ in the
bash shell of cygwin. The file test.cpp contains

#include <iostream>
int main()
{
  cout << "hello world";
}

When I run
g++ c:/test.cpp test

from path /usr/bin or from /cygdrive/c

in the bash shell of cygwin I get pages and pages of error messages. I
can't even capture it all as it goes beyond the scrolling ability of
the window. It contains things like

/usr/include/wchar.h:43 error: sytax error before '<' token
/usr/include/string.h:22: error: type specifier omitted for parameter
'size_t'

etc etc

I assume I have some configuration error. I have installed cygwin in
C:\ and have added c:\cygwin\usr\bin to my system path variable is
there something else I have to do?

I appreciate any assistance.

Regards
Janette