Re: GCC for Mac OS X

From: Gary Labowitz
Subject: Re: GCC for Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:24:39 -0500

"Dave Seaman" <dseaman@no.such.host> wrote in message
news:chr8hf$5vb$1@mozo.cc.purdue.edu...
> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 21:41:12 -0700, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
> > Where can I get the GNU C compiler for Mac OS 10.1.5 (Cheetah)?
> > Has anyone built the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) for Cheetah?
>
> Do you have a "cc" compiler?  If you do, it's really gcc, because that is
> Apple's vendor-supplied compiler.  It includes Apple's improvements that
> have not yet been folded into the GNU version (or at last had not, as of
> the Cheetah version).
>
> If you have the installation CD's for Mac OS 10.1.5, there should be one
> with the Developer Tools.  Every version of Mac OS X, dating back to the
> public beta, has had the Apple-supplied Developer Tools (later renamed
> Xcode), which includes Apple's own version of gcc.
>
> If you don't have a CD, look in /Applications/Installers for a Developer
> Tools installer.
>
> Normally the Development Tools are available as a free download from the
> Apple Developer site, but when I looked, the oldest version I saw there
> was for 10.2 or later.  Perhaps the older versions have been removed, or
> perhaps I was looking in the wrong place.  It has to be the right
> version, because the 10.1.5 Developer Tools won't work with earlier or
> later versions of OS X.

This looks promising. I am a college instructor, familiar with PC's only (no
Mac) and this year I have a student with a Mac (OS X on it, don't know what
level). I use Dev-C++ for my IDE and the MinGW compiler. For Mac I am
totally lost. Need I mention that this has to work cheap, i.e. free?

Current direction I'm going is using jGrasp for the IDE and whatever
compiler I can get my hands on. (I'm looking at the g++) However, your post
gives me hope that all I need to do is give jGrasp the path to a copy of the
XTools compiler which is probably on his computer. If this is correct, can
you give me any clue as to the directory structure used? Once that path is
in there I think we are okay for simply compiles and run (this is a basic
course).
If I'm still not understanding (Cheetah? Panther? Darwin? etc.) please
direct me or give a clue. I am clueless!!
Thanks,
--
Gary