Re: How smart is g++

From: John Max Skaller
Subject: Re: How smart is g++
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 00:06:19 +1100

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:59:52 +0000, Guy Harrison wrote:

> John Max Skaller wrote:
>
>> How smart is g++ handling references? Consider:
>>
>> struct X { int j; };
>>
>> void f(X x)
>> {
>>   int j_copy = x.j;
>>   int & j_ref = x.j;
>> }
>>
>> Is g++ smart enough to make uses of j_copy and j_ref
>> the same speed? Meaning to use the same instructions?

[]

>> Hmm .. did the question make sense?
>
> Mostly. Depends why you're doing it.

Suppose I have systematically generated code like this:

void f(T const &arg) {
        T1 v1 = arg.mem1;
        T2 v2 = arg.mem2;
        T3 v3 = arg.mem3;
        ... use v1 v2 v3 ...
}

and was thinking to change it to this:

void f(T const &arg) {
        argument = arg;
        T1 &v1 = argument.mem1;
        T2 &v2 = argument.mem2;
        T3 &v3 = argument.mem3;
        ... use v1 v2 v3 ..
}

> In contrast, if one were reading this struct only the once, as you imply,
> then the design may be better off dispensing with that struct altogether -
> or simply write an "import module" to read it once, thereafter write out
> something more suitable. Alternatively one might decide to dispense with
> the C++ wrapper and access the struct directly.

Indeed  -- there are many alternatives, and it's hard to
pick a good one. The language being implemented allows this:

        f (1,2,3)

but also this:

        x = (1,2,3);
        f x;

and they mean the same thing: call f with a single argument
that happens in this case to be a tuple. The function may
be defined like this:

        proc f (x:int, y:int, z:int) {
                print x; print y; print z;
        }

The implementation uses

        struct { int mem1; int mem2; int mem3; };

as the argument type, and unpacks it as indicated above.
At least one reason is so the names 'x' 'y' and 'z' appear
in the generated code so the user can actually read it.

So roughly speaking we're talking about the function
call protocol for a programming language.