Re: GDB backtrace problem

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: GDB backtrace problem
Date: 15 Oct 2004 17:20:06 -0700

"Boby Paul" <bpaul@globaltecsolutions.com> writes:

> I ran gdb with core file. When I do backtrace, I am only getting last 3
> stack calls. Is there a way to get deeper stacks from the core dump.

Gdb prints as many stack levels it can.

Something prevents it from going further.
There could be several causes:
- stack corrupted (by your program)
- signals (on some platforms gdb can't properly unwind past sighandler)
- stack-switching libraries.

> In some posting in Internet I found stack calls upto 12.

I often look at 200 stack calls (and sometimes at 20000, when my
recursion goes infinite :(.

Nothing special needs to be done to get this many levels from gdb.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.