Re: Help on assembler messages.

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: Help on assembler messages.
Date: 15 Oct 2004 07:19:49 -0700

hsphuah@usa.com (Hon Seng Phuah) writes:

A. Because doing so makes the conversation harder to read.
Q. Why should I not top-post?

Please do not top post. Rest of the message re-ordered.

> > Now you can look inside rf1r1w6tnet.s and find out which function
> > is mis-compiled.

> My C++ program only contains one main function.
>
> I can't make the program smaller as I can't reproduce the error. Are
> there any other way to locate the compiler bug?

If your function is so large that it simply can't be compiled for
your architecture, then perhaps it is not compiler bug after all.

Consider:

  int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
     if (argc == 1) goto end;
             ... humongous amount of code ...
     end: return 0;
  }

If "humongous amount of code" compiles into say 2 MBytes of code,
but your processor can only jump forwards or backwards by 1MB,
then what do you expect your compiler to do?

Re-factor your main() splitting it into several functions.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.