Re: pthreads

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: pthreads
Date: 02 Aug 2004 21:27:50 -0700

Matthew Polder <matthewtunapolder@kodak.com> writes:

> You are correct, I am linking statically. I did look in /usr/lib and saw
> libpthread.so, so I guess I will need to start building dynamic
> libraries (I have successfully avoided it up to this point).

[Please do not top-post].

You don't have to build dynamic libraries in order to have a
dynamically-linked executable. Your "old" archive libraries will
work just fine, e.g.

  gcc -c foo.c; gcc -c bar.c; ar rv libfoobar.a foo.o bar.o
  gcc -o foobar.exe main.c -L. -lfoobar -pthreads

[The last command uses archive libfoobar.a and dynamic libpthread.so]

> However, before using gcc, I was using Sun's C++ compiler, CC. With this
> compiler I was able to link statically and have my threads work. I used
> the '-mt' flag in compiling and linking and it took care of everything.
> I wonder what library it used.

It used /usr/lib/libpthread.so. Your mistake is that you assumed
for some reason that you need -static. You don't.

> Since =pthreads is not really documented in the gcc manual, is there
> another reference where one can learn these things?

Well, "man pthread" and searching docs.sun.com would be a start.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.