Re: Help! I deleted libstdc++.so.5, how do I get it back?

From: Maurizio Loreti
Subject: Re: Help! I deleted libstdc++.so.5, how do I get it back?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:38:53 -0000

charlesfox357@hotmail.com (Charles Fox) writes:

> I'm on Mandrake 9.2.  I just upgraded to gcc 3.4.0 and removed my old
> gcc.  By mistake I also removed libstdc++.so.5 (thinking that it
> should be replaced with .so.6)  However all my programs need the .so.5
> version!
>
> I tried installing the rpm but mandrake thinks its already installed
> (as I'm rm'ed that file manually).

Is there an "rpm --force" command line option like in RedHat's rpm?

> I wish linux would put rm'ed things in the trash so I could get them
> out again!

You misspelled "I wish I had more wisdom and so avoided to destroy
bits and pieces of a running system".  Or, maybe, "I wish I read the
installation instructions, where they say to install the new gcc under
a different directory tree".  You had exactly what you asked for.

--
Maurizio Loreti                         http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html
Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Padova, Italy              ROT13: ybergv@cq.vasa.vg