g++ 3.3 on AIX 5.1 ???

From: David Truckenmiller
Subject: g++ 3.3 on AIX 5.1 ???
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:41:34 -0700

Well, since this is a quiet list, can anyone tell me where I'd go to
find information about how to properly build g++ 3.3 on AIX 5.1 ?
Specifically, when I build it from sources (a 15+ hour process), and/or
when I get pre-compiled binaries from somewhere like
ftp://aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu/pub/gcc/RISC/5.1 I can't get a source file
like:

#include <string>
int main() {
  std::wstring wide = L"fred";
}

to compile.  This file compiles just fine with xlC.  I'm new to the AIX
platform, is g++ just not very well used or supported on this platform?
Do I need other supporting files, and if so, which ones?

The version that IBM includes (gcc 2.9) is too old for my code to
compile properly, or I'd simply use that.

Many thanks in advance, and I apologize for disturbing the peace.

David Truckenmiller
dtrucken@stellent.com