help installing, starting

From: Joseph Rhinewine
Subject: help installing, starting
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 13:01:04 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I am trying to get gnu C++ up and running on my PC so I can teach
myself to program.  I downloaded a recent version and have entered the
specified paths in my autoexec.bat file.  what else do I need to do to
get started?

I have very limited knowledge of computers in general, so please bear
this in mind if offering help.  I understand the logic of computers
from BASIC work I did years and years ago, and more recently from using
the internet etc.  Otherwise I'm new to programming and am unfamiliar
with most environments.

Thanks much

JR