small porting project turning into a big mess

From: Donald Brinkman
Subject: small porting project turning into a big mess
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 15:09:11 -0500

Hello all . . .

I have been given the task of porting a small project from an IRIX
environment into a visual c++ compatible library.  To accomplish this I
decided to use Cygwin, since it has such nice utilities for creating DLLs.
Everything has been going fine, with only a few changes here and there,
until I stopped dead on this problem.  Given the member function:

const Foo** FooBar::getA() const
        {
        return ( A )
        }

where A is a const Foo**

I get the following message:

Return to const Foo** from Foo **const adds cv-quals without intervening
'const'.

Now, please, can someone tell me just what a cv-qual is and why the compiler
complains about this on Cygwin but not IRIX? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Donald Brinkman
George H. Lindquist
OptiMetrics, Inc.