help-gnuzilla

Re: push notifications

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: push notifications
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 17:28:18 -0500

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 17:04:45 +0100 Marco wrote:
> I have enabled dom.push.enabled.  If I now go to
> https://gauntface.github.io/simple-push-demo/ I can still not Enable
> Push Notifications:
> > Push Not Supported
> >
> > Showing Notifications from a service worker is not available on this
> > browser

that demo also does not work with the parabola v78.4 build

with the default dom.push.enabled=false, the web page is broken
- the checkbox is enabled but can not be selected; and there is
no indication of "Push Not Supported" as in the OP - however,
"Push Not Supported" is printed to the javascript console

with dom.push.enabled=true, the only difference is that nothing
is printed to the javascript console, except for a "content
blocking" warning

with "Enhanced Tracking Protection" disabled the "content
blocking" warning goes away - with dom.push.enabled=false, the
"Push Not Supported" is again printed to the javascript console,
but the GUI checkbox is in the disabled (greyed-out) state, not
actually broken

with "Enhanced Tracking Protection" disabled, and
dom.push.enabled=true, the "Push Not Supported" is not printed
to the javascript console, but appears on the web page as in the
OP - a new warning appears, however

> Some cookies are misusing the recommended "sameSite" attribute

my initial thought is to find/create a test page which is as
minimal  as any test page should be - ie: one that does
not rely on frivolous third-party "contents"