help-gnuzilla

push notifications

From: Marco van Hulten
Subject: push notifications
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 17:04:45 +0100

Hello—

Should «push notifications» work in IceCat?

A search through the Gnuzilla mailinglist archives did not turn up any
hit, but I'm not sure if I use the right term for this.  I am referring
to the behaviour where a website can trigger a notification to the
user, e.g. through a temporary pop-up on your screen.

I have enabled dom.push.enabled.  If I now go to
https://gauntface.github.io/simple-push-demo/ I can still not Enable
Push Notifications:
> Push Not Supported
>
> Showing Notifications from a service worker is not available on this
> browser

Rationale is that in my new IT job we are expected to use a range of
different proprietary messaging services like Slack and MS Teams.  Of
course I do not want to use the proprietary clients and thus since this
week I realise the usefulness of push notifications in a web browser.

I am using IceCat 78.5.0esr on Guix.  (78.6.0esr does not build which I
should probably report to Guix.)

—Marco

--
IT division (infra and scientific computing), University of Bergen.
P.O. Box 7810, 5022 Bergen, Norway