help-gnutls

[Help-gnutls] Re: GNU TLS windows problem.

From: Rajeev Saini
Subject: [Help-gnutls] Re: GNU TLS windows problem.
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:17:17 +0530

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the reply.
It is very important for us to convert our certificate from PEM to DER format such that the mobile can use it.
certtool -i --infile IN.pem  --outder --outfile OUT.der

If possible kindly provide a patch of gnutls such that the above command correctly generates the DER format certificate.

Regards,
Rajeev Saini

Experience certainty.        IT Services
                       Business Solutions
                       Outsourcing

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden>

09/27/2007 07:30 PM

Rajeev Saini <address@hidden>
cc
address@hidden
Subject
Re: GNU TLS windows problem.

Rajeev Saini <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
> We are trying to integrate GNU TLS windows library with our application
> which requires mobile to authenticate a X509 certificate with a TCP Server
> and then the communication packets between the two can start.
>
> My problem is that my test mobile only supports certificate in ..der
> format.
> The certtool utility in GNU TLS makes certificates in .pem format and if i
> rename this .pem format certificate to .der format then the handshaking
> between the mobile and server fails.

Yes, the PEM format is a text representation of the DER format.

> My server can use the certificate in ..PEM format but my mobile can only
> use .der format certificate.
> How can i make .der format certificates using certtool (or otherwise) such
> that i can use it on my test mobile and it performs successful hanshaking
> with the TCP server(which uses .pem or .der certificate from the same
> corresponding CA).

You can use the --outder flag to certtool when generating the
certificate.

If you already have a client certificate for the mobile and want to
convert it to DER, use:

$ certtool -i --infile IN.pem  --outder --outfile OUT.der

However, this doesn't seem to work!  Mea culpa.  The output is garbled
for some reason.  Possibly the --outder flag doesn't work when
generating certificates either.  I'll see if I can debug this.

/Simon

ForwardSourceID:NT00006216
and any attachments. Thank you