help-gnustep

Re: GNUstep fails to build on SUSE 9.2

From: M Daser
Subject: Re: GNUstep fails to build on SUSE 9.2
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 13:00:33 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

>> Hi
>>
>> I am trying to build GNUstep on SUSE 9.2 (virgin install with all devl
>> packages installed) but it seems to me that GNUstep doesn't like SUSE,
>> at least not 9.2.
>>
>> If I try to use the gnustep-startup package, it complains about
>> missing JPEG, TIFF and PNG libraries, which is nonsense because those
>> libraries are installed and they do show up both in Yast utility or
>> with rpm -i. I guess the GNUstep check is broken.
>

> Are you *sure* it's nonsense?
>
> The reason I ask is that it's quite a common error to assume that
> development packages of libraries are installed, when in fact only the
> runtime libraries are installed.  To build software (such as gnustep)
> you need the development packages which include headers etc.

This is probably the problem ... I had the same trouble a while ago, and
installing the development packages for the libraries helped.

I think this is different with different Linux distros: some have
separate runtime and development packages, and some don't. At least this
was my impression.

Good luck!
    Martin