help-gnunet

Re: New GNUNET peer (at least I hope).

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: New GNUNET peer (at least I hope).
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 11:53:30 +0100

Hi!

> On 23. Jan 2020, at 22:18, Denis BEURIVE <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> In an attempt to help the GNUNET project, I have installed GNUNET on a VPS
> hosted by OVH (51.178.50.124). This is a very small server (2Ghz, 2Gb of RAM
> and 20Gb SSD). However it has a public IP address, a very good bandwidth and
> high availability.
>
> I have noticed a little problem while following the installation guide for
> Ubuntu 18.04.
>
> When I tried to start GNUNET (gnunet-arm -s), the system could not find the
> shared libray "libgnunetarm.so.2".
>
> To fix this, I just run "ldconfig".
>
> I show you the complete scenario:
>
> root@vps779473:~# gnunet-arm -s
> gnunet-arm: error while loading shared libraries: libgnunetarm.so.2: cannot
>
> root@vps779473:~# locate libgnunetarm
> /usr/local/lib/libgnunetarm.la
> /usr/local/lib/libgnunetarm.so
> /usr/local/lib/libgnunetarm.so.2
> /usr/local/lib/libgnunetarm.so.2.0.0
>
> root@vps779473:/etc/ld.so.conf.d# cd /etc/ld.so.conf.d
> root@vps779473:/etc/ld.so.conf.d# cat libc.conf
> # libc default configuration
> /usr/local/lib
> root@vps779473:/etc/ld.so.conf.d# ldconfig
> root@vps779473:~# gnunet-arm -s
> root@vps779473:/etc/ld.so.conf.d# ps awx | grep gnunet

From my experience, the need for "ldconfig" is not unusual (if you have
installed it from source).

So no output after the "ps" command I assume? Can you check ~/.cache/gnunet/
for logs?
Also, it seems like you run gnunet as root. It would be better if you run it as
a user, e.g. gnunet.

> Well, I don't know what GNUNET is doing right now. I'll have to dig about it
> later.

$ gnunet-arm -I

should show you the running services. You can "inspect" each service using
respective command-line tools (see docs).
To check if you are connected with any other peers, run

$ gnunet-core

If that does not output anything, there is a problem with connectivity -> check
logs.

> With my GNUNET peer, I'd like to increase the number of peers on the network
> (in order to make the network better).

Awesome.

> I'll probably ask questions since I am not sure to understand all the
> documentation. Please note that I work as a senior UNIX developer. Thus I am
> accustomed to technical stuff. I may help to improve the documentation, and,
> if needed, translate it into French.

Even better!

Good luck and have fun ;)

BR