help-gnunet

Re: [Help-gnunet] OK to use a FQDN for 'IP' in gnunet.conf?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] OK to use a FQDN for 'IP' in gnunet.conf?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:51:23 +0100

Hi Christian,

6 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes, 7 seconds ago,
Christian Grothoff wrote:
> I wonder if anyone else is having a problem with high CPU utilization by the
> _clients_ (not gnunetd)?

Why not gnunetd?  :-)

Last time I tried (several months ago), gnunetd was actually eating so
much CPU (even while I wasn't downloading anything) that I just
couldn't let it run in the background and listen to an mp3 at the same
time on my K6-2 350MHz (admittedly not a cutting-edge machine).  Note
that this is on Debian unstable, with the GDBM back-end.

Since then, I sometimes used aMule, a Python GTK-based implementation of
the Fasttrack protocol, and I was impressed by its relatively low CPU
consumption.  Of course, Fasttrack may slightly differ from GAP.  But
still, aMule didn't eat up all the CPU, even when content was being
dowloaded from and uploaded to my node at the same time.

Gnunetd seems to be heavily multithreaded which may be one possible
cause of its CPU intensiveness.

Thanks,
Ludovic.