help-gnunet

Re: [Help-gnunet] some trouble with gnunet (cant find anything / gnunet-

From: Tom Barnes-Lawrence
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] some trouble with gnunet (cant find anything / gnunet-stats wont work)
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:26:35 +0100

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 01:26:03PM +0200, "K?nig, Thomas" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I've installed gnunet the first time.
> Now I have some problems to get it running.
> I cant find anything e.g. GPL, gnunet-stats
> give me a error message.
> I think I dont make a mistake, some clients
> contac me, the port 2086 tcp/udp are opened
> on my firewall.

  Hi, I think I can spot this one (perhaps):

> GNUNET_HOME     = /var/lib/GNUnet

<snip>

> Jul 18 12:00:04 WARNING: scanDirectory /var/lib/GNUnet/data/hosts/ returned
> no known hosts!
<snip>

 IIRC, Gnunet comes with a sample configuration file, for people who want
gnunetd to run automatically, as root (on a permanently-connected machine,
for example).

 If you aren't running gnunetd as root (and note that it *doesn't need* to
be run as root), then that sample configuration file is not goot, and would
need a few changes. Especially, you would want GNUNET_HOME to be somewhere
under your home directory (~/.gnunet is common), where you will have write
access to it. You wouldn't ordinarily be able to write to directories
under /var, as an ordinary user.

 Of course, if you *are* running gnunetd as root, then none of this applies,
and it will presumably be some other problem ;)

 Hope this helps,

  Tomble