help-gnuastro

Re: [help-gnuastro] GNU Astro configure error - missing WCSLIB component

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: Re: [help-gnuastro] GNU Astro configure error - missing WCSLIB component
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 19:31:48 +0200

Great!

I am happy we fixed the linker flags. To tell the compiler where to look for the headers, we have to use the `CPPFLAGS' environment variable.

So the solution is to run this command:

./configure --prefix=/packages/gnuastro/0.5 CPPFLAGS=-I/packages/wcslib/5.18/include LDFLAGS=-L/packages/wcslib/5.18/lib

The Configure script's `--includedir' is for the output/installed header files, not the input.

In other words, with `--includedir=/packages/wcslib/5.18/include', you are telling the build system to put Gnuastro library's headers in the same place as WCSLIB's headers (`--includedir=/packages/wcslib/5.18/include'), while everything else will be installed in `/packages/gnuastro/0.5'.

The configure command above should fix the problem. If so, please let us know.

To avoid such problems in the future (and use a simple `./configure --prefix=PPPPP') you can set the LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS similar to how you set the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables (to look into each program's specific version locations).

In the mean time, it would also help your users if MANPATH and INFOPATH also point to the same versions of the software that PATH points to. In this way, when people run any of the two commands below, they will get the man page and Info documentation of the version corresponding to the executable (in this case, NoiseChisel's executable, which is one of Gnuastro's programs).

$ man astnoisechisel
$ info astnoisechisel

These are summarized in the box at the end of this page:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Installation-directory.html

Cheers,
Mohammad