Re: general question

From: Henrik Carlqvist
Subject: Re: general question
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 00:52:45 +0200

"Jerry Bauer" <nimrim@ctos.com> wrote:
> Will GNU operating system run Microsoft Works?

Different gnu operating systems capable of running Microsoft Works would
be:

React OS          http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

Linux with Wine   http://distrowatch.com/
                  http://www.winehq.org/

It is also possible to run MS Windows program in a Microsoft OS running in
a PC emulator like Qemu on a GNU operating system, however such a
solution will also require a licens for a Microsoft OS:
                  http://www.qemu.org/

I haven't tried running Microsoft Works or React OS myself, but I have run
different MS Windows programs in Wine and in qemu.

> What software do you  recommend for word processing and spread sheet?

You could try OpenOffice, Koffice, Abiword and gnumeric. For advanced word
processing there is nothing that beats Emacs and Latex :-)

> Easy enough questions but I can find the answer on ant web site.

A godd place to search is http://freshmeat.net/
Keywords for you to serch for might be:
spreadsheet
word processor
office
emulator (but this will give a lot of hits not relevant for you)

regards Henrik
root@localhost postmaster@localhost