DDD Problem: Can't Turn off Inferior Debugging (infrun)

From: Derek Mark Edding
Subject: DDD Problem: Can't Turn off Inferior Debugging (infrun)
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:34:20 GMT

Hi Folks,

GDB supports "inferior" debugging, and when it's enabled you get a lot of additional output like:

infrun: infwait_normal_state
infrun: TARGET_WAITKIND_STOPPED
infrun: stop_pc = 0x1284db1
infrun: stepping inside range [0x1284d50-0x1284de0]
infrun: resume (step=1, signal=0)
infrun: prepare_to_wait
infrun: infwait_normal_state
infrun: TARGET_WAITKIND_STOPPED
infrun: stop_pc = 0x1284db3
infrun: stepping inside range [0x1284d50-0x1284de0]
infrun: resume (step=1, signal=0)
infrun: prepare_to_wait
infrun: infwait_normal_state

For some reason, I can't shut this off in DDD. The gdb command to disable it is

  set debug infrun 0

I can type this in at the (gdb) prompt in DDD, but it only works until the end of the current debug session. Then it comes right back.

There is a DDD dialog for GDB Settings. It lists an option for Inferior Debugging. This is always set to "infrun" in the dialog.

When I manually change it to zero to turn off inferior debugging, and click the Apply button it immediately changes back to "infrun". If I click the Close button instead, it remains 0, but only until the end of the debugging session.

I keep the "Save Options" toggle checked in DDD's Edit menu. Whenever I exit DDD, my ~/.ddd/init file says:

set debug infrun \"infrun\"\n\

I can of course change it to zero in this file, but it is overwritten by DDD so this only works until the next time I exit DDD.

This does not seem to be a common problem. I'm using ddd-3.3.9-1 on CentOS 4.4, if it matters. I'm going to try manually setting it to zero in the init file and turning off "Save Options" to see if that works.

Thanks for any pointers...

   -dreq