Re: GNU utility to generate --help

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: GNU utility to generate --help
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:22:15 -0800 (PST)

Paulo>     information and it seems like there is a 'template' for this
Paulo> --help

Karl> The template, such as it is, is described in the GNU coding
Karl> standards.
Karl>
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Command_002dLine-Interfaces

Karl> You can figure out the common formatting that most of us follow in
Karl> practice just by looking at the examples from coreutils, texinfo,
Karl> etc.  (Don't look at diffutils, though. :) If any questions, feel
Karl> free to ask.

Paulo>     Is there any script/software to generate --help replies and
Paulo> put them in my C++ software?

Karl> Not exactly (that I know of).  There are some extended getopt-like
Karl> libraries which will let you define a help string with each
Karl> option, namely GNU autogen and (I think) GNU gengetopt.

These are external programs, not libraries, are they?
The only _library_ I know of that handles this is argp.

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.