Re: Need help with cleaning up a working GNU Autotools setup

From: Peter T. Breuer
Subject: Re: Need help with cleaning up a working GNU Autotools setup
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 11:03:50 +0200

In comp.os.linux.development.system Sune <sune_ahlgren@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I got some really good mails from gnu.org people so things are falling
> into place now. Still, I want to thank you for your effort and let you
> know that your remarks got me going in the right direction.

> Don't know what made you so upset though...

Your lack of understanding gets me upset. You have the answer repeated
to you again and again and you don't understand it! You don't seem to
lack some particular neuron that is necessary for making the mental
leap from knowing what needs to be done to putting it in the top level
makefile (or the makefile.am) so that it WILL be done. Or perhaps the
one that's missing is the neuron taht tells you that if you want
something done in a subdir, or 80 subdirs, then all you have to do is
put in your makefile (or makefile.am) a

   for i in $(SUBDIRS); do $(MAKE) -C $$i -f $(TOPDIR)/Makefile $@; done

but such trivialities seem to be over your head! Or perhaps you think
they are not trivialities, but difficulties, and there is some other
way. Anyway, what is certain is that you can't talk sensibly about
your problem, and as a result people can't talk to you.

Peter