Re: gmake troubles under Win XP -- opening shells instead of executing c

From: Stan Brown
Subject: Re: gmake troubles under Win XP -- opening shells instead of executing commands
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 00:21:55 -0400

On 23 Jul 2005 14:56:44 -0400, "Paul D. Smith" <psmith@gnu.org>
wrote:

>There is no way to get more than what you already see without adding
>code to GNU make.

Thanks -- this is what I was asking.

Make is doing _something_ wrong -- instead of executing commands
it's opening secondary shells under Windows XP. (However, when the
commands are batch files those are executed correctly!)

The same make and the same makefile worked just fine under Windows
98. The commands displayed with make -n are all correct, but
obviously something about the passing of the commands to the shell
is wrong.

I'm immensely frustrated, and I have no idea where to turn --
debugging make in source code is really not a project I want to take
on. I know it's a free program, so I don't have any right to
complain;but I'm astonished that as long as XP has been out, someone
hasn't noticed this problem and fixed it.

                                  http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
                                   -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)