Re: A good open-source source version control system?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: A good open-source source version control system?
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:36:49 -0400

    for example, the possibility of a file change versions when it
    hasn't changed,

?  Files don't change unless you change them.

    the way the directory structure is forced (or highly
    encouraged) into "trunks" and "branches",

It is a bit unusual, I grant you.  It's not actually forced, as you say,
although every example assumes it.

    and the lack of a "view" mechanism.

It's been a long time since I worked with Clearcase, but indeed, I don't
think there is any straightforward equivalent of Clarcase views.  You
might able to construct something using hooks, but this would probably
not be especially fun to maintain.

Here's one article contrasting clearcase, svn, and others:
http://bitsko.slc.ut.us/blog/clearcase-svn.html

Anyway, the svn mailing lists are probably the best place to continue
this ...

Cheers,