Re: GNUMAKE: rebuild target when any of the dependencies are done

From: John Graham-Cumming
Subject: Re: GNUMAKE: rebuild target when any of the dependencies are done
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:28:59 -0500

Yuri Shtil wrote:
Given an example below, I want to start start $(ALLSCRIPT) when ANY of the
prerequisites One or Two have been updated.
Any idea?

all: One Two
    $(ALLSCRIPT)

One: $(ONEDEPS)
    $(ONESCRIPT)

Two: $(TWODEPS)
    $(TWOSCRIPT)

It's not clear from your question exactly what you are expecting to happen, but from the looks of your Makefile if either One or Two are updated the then all rule will run, i.e. $(ALLSCRIPT) will be run.

I suspect there's something more because of the way in which you highlighted the word ANY. Could you give a concrete example of the output you are expecting; perhaps use this example Makefile

    all: One Two ; @echo Building all
    One: ; @echo Building One
    Two: ; @echo Building Two

John.