Re: gmake - how to generate variable assignments?

From: Ernest
Subject: Re: gmake - how to generate variable assignments?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:13:53 -0600

bill-godfrey@sunny-daventry.invalid (Bill Godfrey) wrote in
news:20041217192052.050$9Z@newsreader.com:

> Not sure what you mean by that. I think all make variables are global,
> so your emphasis puzzles me.

Well, there are target-specific variables too, which exist only for a given
target.  I just wanted to make sure people didn't suggest that.

> No idea if this is any use to you, but you can do...
>
> $($(SOMEVARIABLE)_VAR)

Sure, but what I need to do is generate assignment statements on the fly.
Maybe I wasn't too clear in my original post, let me try this another way.

The user specifies a list of words in a variable, e.g.,

FILES = foo1 foo2 foo3 ... etc. ...

And my makefiles (which I provide to the user) must be able to take that
list (FILES is an agreed-upon variable name) and transform it into
variables of this form for them:

foo1_VAR = whatever
foo2_VAR = whatever
etc.

So you see, I cannot, at the time I write my makefiles, know what the names
of the variables are.  I can calculate the names easily, but I don't know
if GNU provides a way for me to *generate* global variable assignment
statements.  The "define" and "eval()" mechanisms only appear to work for a
target's command list, which will not work for me (AFAIK).

Cheers and thanks,
Ernest