Re: Makefile -- Evaluate dependencies in order, don't consider it prere

From: Chess Saurus
Subject: Re: Makefile -- Evaluate dependencies in order, don't consider it prerequisite?
Date: 14 Jul 2004 11:22:20 -0700

>   cs> I apologize if this is a little bit confusing.  I have read in the
>   cs> gmake manual that there are "order-only-prerequisites", which are
>   cs> almost perfect, except that I can't interleave their order with the
>   cs> actual prerequisites.
>
> In that "correct" makefile you would simply change the banana
> prerequisite to be order-only and leave the rest:
>
>   apple.file : orange
>   orange: | banana
>   banana: pineapple
>   pineapple:

Thanks for responding, and I think I understand your suggestion.  But
in the example you give here, if pineapple gets updated, I want
apple.file to be updated.  I think the fact that it is buried in the
tree under a "order-only" node will prevent this.

In other words, pineapple is a real prerequisite of apple.file
although banana is not.

-Chess