Can gnucmp be run on raw devices to compare filesystems?

From: Amanda Wolbrum
Subject: Can gnucmp be run on raw devices to compare filesystems?
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:47:44 -0400

I apologize in advance is this is the wrong help list for cmp. If it is, if someone could point me in the proper direction, that would be a big help. Please cc me in any responses to the query as I am not subscribed to this alias. Thanks!

I was wondering if cmp or gnucmp can be run on two raw devices to find out if there are differences between the filesystems. Specifically, I have broken an existing mirror on my system and created two separate volumes around each plex. Then, I am running the gnucmp command to see if the two filesystems/volumes differ. Does anyone know if this using gnucmp in this way can be expected to produce reliable results?

Here is the command syntax:

gnucmp -l /dev/vx/rdsk/testdg/testvol1 /dev/vx/rdsk/testdg/testvol2

For those who don't know volume manager, this is the same as running:
gnucmp -l /dev/rdsk/fs1 /dev/rdsk/fs2

Thanks so much!

Amanda Wolbrum