Where can I get a compression library?

From: Padma_Patruni
Subject: Where can I get a compression library?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:53:19 -0800

Hi,

I have a question regarding compression libraries. I am looking for a
compression library to replace the runlength compression algorithm in our
server program. Compression is used for compressing the RPC data between
client and server. The compression rate with runlength algorithm is low
when compared with UNIX 'compress' and GNU 'gzip' utilities. I downloaded
the zlib compression library from GNU website but the compression rate with
the "compress function" is not as good as the UNIX 'compress' or 'gzip'
compression. Where can I get a compression library?

Thank you in advance for the help.
- Padma