help-gnu-radius

[Help-gnu-radius] SQL authentication problem

From: Stéphane Huguet
Subject: [Help-gnu-radius] SQL authentication problem
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:08:21 +0200

Hi,

I'm in trouble with the Mysql authentication scheme on GNU Radius.
I installed GNU Radius to perform some simple authentication and accounting
tasks. I first used accounts created directly in the file raddb/users. Now I
would like my accounts to be kept in a mysql database. So I followed the
instructions in the GNU Radius manual, keeping the maximum amount of
parameters unchanged when possible.

The raddb/users file now contains only that entry :
DEFAULT Auth-Type = Mysql
                Service-Type = Framed-User

I created the mysql database RADIUS as indicated in the manual (tables
passwd, groups, attrib) and created the user_name 'souton' with password
'souton'.

I left the authentication parameters in the raddb/sqlserver file unchanged,
say :
server localhost
port 3306
login radius
password guessme

And of course I authorized authentication and accounting via sql in the same
file :
doauth yes
doacct yes

I just removed the "active='Y'" from the auth_query to make it simpler, say
:
auth_query SELECT password \
                FROM passwd \
                WHERE user_name='%u'

I created a full access account (login='radius', password='guessme') to the
mysql database and tested it with the mysql client (mysqlcc) --> the account
works and is granted access to the RADIUS db with read/write rights.

Now, when I'm trying to connect to the Radius server (using radauth or any
other mean), I get an 'Access Reject' response. In the radius.info logfile,
there are two corresponding lines :
jun 24 09:18:13: [7367]: souton: SQL authentication not available
jun 24 09:18:13: [7367]: Invalid user: [souton]: CLID unknown (from nas
local)

So I don't know what to try now, does the first line of these logs (SQL
authentication not available) mean that the Radius server can't connect to
the database, or that it can't find the entry 'souton' in the passwd table ?
What can I use (tools, debugging, ...) to try and make it work ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Stéphane