Re: rx and rx-to-string handle (regexp VAR) differently

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: rx and rx-to-string handle (regexp VAR) differently
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2023 09:05:11 +0300

> From: Kévin Le Gouguec <kevin.legouguec@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2023 23:44:07 +0200
>
> Is there a bug to file here, or have I missed something in the
> documentation that explains why rx can work with (regexp VAR) but
> rx-to-string cannot?

FWIW, "Extending Rx" in the ELisp manual says:

   • Definitions are only ever expanded in calls to ‘rx’ or
     ‘rx-to-string’, not merely by their presence in definition macros.

So I think this ought to be supported, and you should file a bug:
either the implementation or the documentation should be fixed.