Re: [External] : Re: (interactive) and &optional

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: (interactive) and &optional
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 16:58:36 +0000

>> it might also be that you are interning the empty string,
>> which creates a symbol with an empty string as the symbol name -- which
>> is not unique.
>
> What do you mean by "is not unique"?

Two symbols with the same symbol name (i.r.t. `equal') are not
necessarily the same symbol (i.r.t `eq').  So

(eq '## (make-symbol "")) ;=> nil

even though they both have the same name,

(equal (symbol-name '##) (symbol-name (make-symbol ""))) ;=> t

which is why I don't think that the name "the empty symbol" makes sense.

--
Philip Kaludercic