Re: Newest emacs version that can run on Ubuntu 18.04

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Newest emacs version that can run on Ubuntu 18.04
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 20:48:22 -0700

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ack!  This doesn't 'apt get' *all* the dependencies, correct?  You've
>> already got a GTK and build environment installed, correct?  Chromebook
>> Linux starts with a base environment that we have to install all the
>> dependencies by hand and use up limited space on the memory hard drive.
>> Suggestions on what to install w/o installing everything?
>
> People say it is easier to run feature/android on Chrome OS than to
> build Emacs for GNU/Linux.
>
> I don't use Chrome OS so I can't say as to how accurate that statement
> is.

Me either.  I tried building Emacs v27 (I think) on Debian (Chromebook
Linux) and the dependencies for GTK were just too big and I wasn't sure
what I'd get without setting up GTK.  So I wound up building Lucid Emacs
because the X-server was already there and the dependencies weren't too
big. I lost that build, though, when I power-washed the Chromebook, so
I've been using the pre-built 27.1 that you can get via 'apt install'.
Works, but I wish it supported speech-to-text (interestingly, running
'emacs -nw' on the console does support it).

I see an "Android Debug Bridge" in the Linux setup for the Chromebook,
but I don't know anything about Android.

--
David Masterson