Re: Inserting a table

From: Heime
Subject: Re: Inserting a table
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 07:19:48 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Friday, November 4th, 2022 at 9:24 PM, Stefan Monnier via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> > > Why don't you follow the large commentary at the beginning of table.el
> > > instead?
> >
> > The difficulty is how to insert text in a particular cell.
>

> IIUC `table.el` was designed under the assumption that the table would
> be edited interactively rather than from ELisp.
> I'm not saying it won't work, but the lack of info may just reflect that
> nobody has thought about it yet. Maybe you can contribute to the doc
> (and/or code if it proves necessary) after you find out how to do it?
>
> Stefan

I agree with your general assessment.  It would certainly be useful for many
users in rapidly insert tables programatically.  I find tables useful for
displaying status information on emacs setup for instance.  For instance, to
show what features and associated customisations have been enabled and set.