RE: [External] : Re: Calling a function with undefined symbol

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Calling a function with undefined symbol
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 04:11:20 +0000

> > A symbol is indeed a Lisp object - an atom that has a name
> > and possibly other properties (value as a variable, function
> > definition,...).
>
> Lisp object, atom, property, value, variable,
> function ... it never ends ...

It typically ends with nil.

> Glossary pretty please ...

+1.

1. Yes, the Elisp manual could use a
glossary.  (The Emacs manual has one.)

2. Perhaps your best bet is to use `i' in
the Elisp manual.  E.g., `i symbol' takes
you directly to node `Symbols', which tells
you about symbols.

3. It can also help, IMO, to consult CLTL2.
The things we've been discussing here are
mostly common to other Lisps.  (Obviously
things such as buffers and windows are not.
Not so obviously, obarrays are not - CL
uses CL packages instead.)

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/cltl/cltl2.html

E.g., Symbols:
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/cltl/clm/node27.html

4. As far as glossaries in Info manuals go,
library Info+ can help a bit by fontifying
and linking glossary words from the text:
options `Info-fontify-glossary-words' and
`Info-link-glossary-words'.  (This includes
links among words within the glossary.)

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InfoPlus#GlossaryEnhancements

But again, the Elisp manual has no glossary.
Nevertheless, Emacs manual glossary entries
(e.g. `list', `variable', `expression') are
linked from the Elisp manual.