Re: buffer substring of only visible text

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: buffer substring of only visible text
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 15:57:57 -0700

thank you for your response.  very interesting and thorough.

i was hoping there would be just a built in function; thank you for
suggesting there is not.

it is surely a useful function regardless of what it is used for so i
will hang on to it.  maybe can use.

this problem with or without manuals has made my head swim ever since
text properties arrived.  i'm sure the manuals are good but my broken
brain is not really getting text properties.  results are sometimes
off, i don't know the special ones, etc.

for me it would be better if thre were a tool more powerful than c-u
c-x = to inspect them.  for example, if there were a tool to show all
text properties and their intervals in a region or buffer or string.
and also links to where any special text properties are documented.
but that's a wish list i guess.  it would help me understand emacs
anyway.

i forgot to mention more explicitly that i was hoping to not depend on
htmlize as it is not in core, but that's a side point, as i will use
htmlize if necessary, and also i think now, maybe, it /might/ be
better to go line by line?  but i am not sure.

more of the x for which this is possibly an xy problem: as noted, i am
trying to copy visible text from buffer a to b.  and i want buffer b
to have text properties that include markers to jump to a for specific
lines.  kinda like magit jumps to files.

and so, those text properties in buffer b would include, in b, the
markers in a.  or... something.   you can probably tell i am a little
lost here.  but with such a funciton like yours, i would put the
markers in a, put the text properties redundantly in a, then copy over
using the function.  the redundant text properties seems wrong
however.  it seems efficient.

so idk.  one alternative seems to be to go line by line through a,
insert markers in a, then create a string for each line with a text
property containing the marker, then insert that string into b, then
continue with the next matching visible line in a.

which seems inefficient.  idk if this is a common problem: copy parts
of buffer a to buffer b such that you can RET to get to a.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com