Re: Remove auctex from emacs

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Remove auctex from emacs
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 18:29:03 +0200

On 2022-09-19, at 19:35, uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> wrote:

> Correct, that it disregards `auto-mode-alist'.

> As there can be many modes, one mode should not take over any other mode.

I didn't understand this.

> This is where we disagree.  There is never a time to say it is too late to
> change.
> When it is time to change, the change should be made to happen.

Well, it is probably a major overhaul of the whole codebase.  Which
means you need substantial effort for little gain (in the sense that
most users - or so I think - are satisfied with the current approach).
Such major changes are much easier when the codebase is young, hence my
"too late" comment.

Perhaps if you make a compelling argument for such a change on the
AUCTeX mailing list, possibly volunteering to help with that effort, you
might succeed.  Personally, I think that the time would be better spent
elsewhere, but this may be because I didn't think about this issue
deeply enough and cannot see too many disadvantages of the status quo.
Change my mind! ;-)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski