Re: Need for colorful completing read

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Need for colorful completing read
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 17:38:14 +0000

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 6 Sept 2022 at 19:29, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>
>> > So it looks like it.
>>
>> Then I guess we can use that in css-mode.
>
> Does anybody use X11 colors in web design though? I had an impression
> that most peopleā„¢ define colors directly in #rrggbb or rgb(r, g, b) or
> rgba(r, g, b, a). Sometimes in hsl, especially if they want nice
> gradients. If they are wise enough, they define a few color-valued
> custom properties (css variables) at the root element level, and
> reference them from everywhere, but the color values are still mostly
> #rrggbb and determined by the brandbook rather than the X11 list.

FWIW I use them, though I don't create professional web sites.  That
being said, if css-mode offers completion it would still be nice to have
some kind of a idea what kind of colors some of the more outlandish
names represent.  There is also rainbow-mode, but that only works if the
text is already in the buffer.