Re: completing-read depricated initial-input

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: completing-read depricated initial-input
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 20:21:59 +0200

> 3. The "argument" for deprecating it amounted to only
>    a statement that stylistically some preferred that
>    only the DEF (default value) argument be used.

I thought the argument was "INITIAL-INPUT in too intrusive in the
minibuffer, most notably, when it's not what the user wants, and then
the hassle with C-a C-k and such begins".  And if I compare:

(let ((default "FOO"))
  (completing-read (format "Prompt (default %s): " default)
                   '("FOO" "BAR" "BAZ")
                   nil nil nil nil default))

where I hit ENTER or TAB makes more sense to me than this:

(let ((default "FOO"))
  (completing-read "Prompt: "
                   '("FOO" "BAR" "BAZ")
                   nil nil default))

where I hit ENTER or have to delete the entry before I can proceed with
TAB.

As a personal note, the INITIAL-INPUT was something in AUCTeX which
bugged for me for a long time, especially in queries for length
arguments.  I can't say how often I've deleted "1.0\linewidth" in my
life.

Best, Arash