RE: [External] : Re: completing-read depricated initial-input

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: completing-read depricated initial-input
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 14:49:16 +0000

> > No, I don't think it is.  Not in `emacs -Q',
> > Emacs 28 and prior.
>
> I mean the sentence "This feature is deprecated--it
> is best to pass nil for INITIAL-INPUT and supply the
> default value DEF instead." - a sentence present for
> more than 20 years.

That just says it's deprecated.  And says "it
is best...".  It doesn't say _why_ it is best.
It doesn't say why it was deprecated.  It
doesn't say how DEF suffices as a replacement.

Supplying DEF is _not_ an adequate substitute
for INITIAL-INPUT.  Each is useful.

(BTW, when comparing two things, the better
word to use is "better", not "best".)