Re: Indentation with spaces

From: goncholden
Subject: Re: Indentation with spaces
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 00:00:47 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Saturday, June 11th, 2022 at 11:01 AM, Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>
wrote:

> Po Lu wrote:
>
> > Where did I say people should use tabs to print data?
>

> I don't know, you said "tabs are very convenient when printing
> data" or something?
>
> But what are you printing with them then ... tabs?
>
> > > As for source you can't align with any hope of precision
> > > since some other dude will have another tab width setting,
> > > so then he will arrange it the way he thinks it should
> > > look, and this "change" to the source rings all the little
> > > bells and so on ...
> >
> > We have a single tab width setting for all code. And it's
> > very easy to put `tab-width' in the local variables section
> > of a file.
>

> Easy but ugly since interface metadata shouldn't clutter
> source files ...
>
> And they should do so even less when there is no gain doing so
> either, right?
>
> The TAB key on the keyboard is one of my favorite keys and
> I often do iteration with that and the so-called backtab which
> is S-TAB. See this for ERC which is cool if I may, don't know
> if they liked it enough or what happened ...

Yes, but emacs should allow a number of possibilities rather than being
prescriptive on its use.  For instance, it does not allow multiple tabs at
start of line, which happens with legacy codes (e.g. in fortran).

I suggest a rethinking and the introduction of a set of function that help the
setting up of space and tab functionality.

whitespace-mode should also be extended to allow users to set colour hex codes
for the various highlighting regions.  For instance, whilst the highlighting of
trailing spaces in vibrant, the one used for tabs suffers from a very low
contrast ratio.

Efforts should be directed towards applying accessibility measures for which
there are actual standards (e.g. WCAG).  One can also use
a colour wheel with equally seperated colours in terms of contrast ratio for
increased vibrancy, which is another good measure.