Re: Indentation with spaces

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Indentation with spaces
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 12:16:46 +0200

Po Lu wrote:

>> Why is `indent-tabs-mode' t by default? Tabs should not
>> be used.
>
> What is the problem with using tabs for indentation? I use
> them to indent both C-like languages and Emacs Lisp.
>
> At my day job, we prefer to indent code with tabs as well.

It's lame, inexact typewriter stuff. Try arrange output data
from some shell tool with tabs and see how robust it'll be.

As for source you can't align with any hope of precision since
some other dude will have another tab width setting, so then
he will arrange it the way he thinks it should look, and this
"change" to the source rings all the little bells and so
on ...

And there is no reason to do, it so at best it gets more
complicated for parsers and stuff for no good reason.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal