Re: limit native compilation - how

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: limit native compilation - how
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:30:56 -0600

Howdy,

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022, 10:14 H. Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
> >> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 14:38:46 +0100

> >> For a session only?!
> >
> > The first session (assuming your use patterns are repeatable enough).
> >
> >> I hoped that the cache (or the .eln files) can last a live time of an
> >> Emacs build!  Except maybe when packages will be updated.
> >
> > That's what I meant, except that I was talking about the bundled
> > packages.
>
> All right, I felt it was 70 % clear but I wanted it 100 %, thank you!
>
> >> I just updated some Elpa packages and it seems they won't be natively
> >> compiled at this stage.
> >
> > They will be compiled when Emacs loads them for the first time,
> > assuming that they were byte-compiled into *.elc.
>
> Micromanagement alert:
>
> I'm wondering if it would be more fluid to compile packages natively
> during installation and updating?  The user expects then a delay,
> anyway, and might be spared small "jerkings" during normal operation..

You can pass make an argument to cause this.  This has been my usual
routine for the last several months. (IIRC) NATIVE_FULL_AOT=1

> >> Half the cores, I see, thanks
> >
> > (And of course there's a defcustom to tune this.)

I have been away on vacation this weekend, returning home in a few hours.
I plan to rebuild emacs-28 with the recently added patches when I have
access to my desktop system again.

Just before leaving I was able to successfully sign my packages.  (I didn't
find it very difficult to perform the signing under windows.)

Perhaps it is time to discuss getting the two of us access to ftp up our
work.